Monday, November 30, 2009

Botox day today.

I was filled with fear and trepidation of what lay ahead, if last time was anything to go by.

To my utter surprise, everything today was easy and straight-forward.

I'd been telling Isla that we'd have to go back to Dr L's hospital again, but promised her "no yucky medicine, and no pricks" (as she called it from last time). I explained that she's have her own little mask on, and she'd have a little sleep, then when she woke up she could have jelly and then come home. It literally went just like that.

She was excited to be there from the get-go. I was concerned that going back to the ward would bring back all those memories of the last time we were there, but apparently not. She didn't remember it at all.

We took Katie, the French talking doll, Bella the ballerina and her polka dot sheet that she's slept under this past week while she was sick. Oh, yes, she was sick as a dog this week and Ian took her to the hospital on Wednesday night after a day and a half of fever which then turned into spots. According to the hospital it was just tonsillitis, and the fever caused the spots. Although now Harper has broken out in them and everyone seems to think that it may be German Measles (we're off to the Dr's tomorrow).

I digress...

The Dr I spoke to on Thursday checked her over and said she was fine to go ahead with the Botox today, so that was a relief. Isla was all excited about the bed that winds up and having a colouring in table right on top of it! So we settled in with the sheet and the dolls, ready for colouring, only to discover that I forgot to pack the colouring books, so Ian went on a mad search through the hospital(s) looking for one and ended up having to walk all the way up to the main street of Randwick to get one!

Orthotics were fixed, and I still hate the bloody things. They were meant to give us a referral for a new pair for a few months time, but we didn't get it on the way out. Actually, we didn't get anything, I guess I'll have to chase that up.

We met the Anaesthetist, we saw Dr L, we had the usual obs done.

The Play Therapist came and asked Isla what sort of toys she liked, she said "horses and Princesses". The Therapist came back with some bright orange playdough (which Isla was allowed to bring home) and a gorgeous Disney Princesses Doll house. She was stoked!

The Play Therapist also had a bag of scented lip glosses, and Isla was allowed to choose whatever scent she liked to put on her mask before the Botox took place. She picked Coca Cola.

Not long after, they came and said they were ready. Ian said he'd go with her to the Procedure Room, he knows how much I hate hospitals and all things medical. I kissed her goodbye and told her I loved her. She waved and was smiling all the way. She was excited!

I cried while she was gone. I couldn't believe how excited she was, and I was anxious that she'd come back like last time and it'd be a nightmare.

About 30 minutes later she was back. I was outside getting some air, Ian called me. I was worried about how she would be when she woke up. I worried she'd be hard to rouse. I worried that she'd be sick. I ran up the stairs and into the ward, and there she was in bed, wide awake, laughing, joking, happy.

Ian and I couldn't believe it.

She tried some jelly, but didn't like it. She devoured a ham sandwich and half a bottle of lemonade. It was almost time to go home!

Then The Clown Doctors came in. If ever you needed to donate to a charity, it should be these guys. Isla loved them. I loved them. Everyone loved them. They sang Isla a song, they played with her, gave her bubbles, and took a photo with her. They were awesome. This guy in particular was hilarious (cant't quite explain why I look like I have been punched in the face!)

Isla didn't want to leave!

So, we have a review on the 21st of January.

We have some new physio stretches to do, must get back into the night splints. They're a bit concerned about her knees and hamstrings more than her calves now.

So proud of my little Princess. I found a DIY Fairy Doll kit when I went down to the giftshop in search of chocolate, which I of course bought for her for being so brave, and then, of course, we had to make it tonight. Lucky she's cute!


Alison said...

I'm so glad it all went better than last time.

Naomi said...

Great to hear that everything went well this time. Also perfect timing for a great botox story! Zachary has his first botox treatment in 14 days and I was feeling a little worried but not so much now. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Glad it went better this time too.

Belinda said...

Amazing how different your experiences were! Rapt it went well!

Dianne said...

SOOOO glad it all went well! They are fab pics. Looks like you were at a party, not the hospital. Hope you see some good results! xo

Jo, Tamer of Monkeys and Keeper of the Crayons said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! My five - year - old son, Daniel, has hemiplegia and is getting Botox next week. He had it last year, but it wasn't a success. Long story short, the doctor injected the wrong muscles - yuck! I know that's a very rare mistake, though, so we're giving it another go with a new doctor. Daniel will also be sedated this time, which makes me feel both relieved and nervous. After reading about Isla's (LOVE the name, by the way) experience, my mind has been put to ease a bit. Thanks again!