Thursday, November 1, 2007

About Me...

I guess this is the spot where I should write a little bit about me - but it's always something that I really struggle to do...where to start...

I met my husband Ian back in 2003, we fell in love with each other straight away. We met at the Speedway, he and his Dad were helping out his Uncle who races Sprintcars, and my Dad and I were pit-crewing for his Uncle also. We've been married since 2005.

I am the mother of a beautiful little girl called Isla, who is almost 3 years old. Having Isla has changed my world in more ways than I could have ever imagined. It's amazing how little you care about things that were once a top priority once you're given a little person nurture. I think that things happen for a reason, and having Isla was what I was put here to do - she is such a beautiful soul, I am prouder and prouder of her every single day.

Isla is such a precious little lady, the walking personification of determination. I had a condition when I was pregnant with Isla called Placenta Praevia Grade IV - which essentially means that the placenta embedded on top of my cervix. This condition, meant that I had a lot of haemorrhages - and as I was bleeding, Isla didn't receive enough bloodflow to her brain, which caused brain damage (specifically Periventricular Leukomalacia or PVL). It wasn't until Isla was 10 months old, that she was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, Spastic Diplegia. Basically, it means that her brain is missing the part that tells her legs to relax. Isla wears orthotics (AFO's) and they help her feet stay flat - the spastic diplegia makes Isla's leg muscles so tight that she walks on her tippy toes. She's come such a long way since that day in November 2005 when she was diagnosed, and she is a constant source of inspiration.

I'm 1/2 way through a University degree in Teaching which I deferred many moons ago when I injured my shoulder and thoracic spine. I hope that one day I will be able to pick up where I left off. As well as being a Mummy, I also work in Retail for a women's clothing label in a major department store. In the new year I will be starting a new course in photography which will hopefully be a foot in the door to a Photography diploma or similar.

Ian and I have been trying to have another baby for 15 months this month (November 2007) but we're taking a break while we wait for test results/I have my tonsils taken out/Christmas..watch this space.

0 comments: